Celebrate International Yoga Day on The Longest Day
Learn how to host a yoga-focused event for The Longest Day® and International Yoga Day, which are both June 21.
Between now and June 21, yoga studios across the country are teaming up with the Alzheimer’s Association to raise funds and awareness, and honor those living with Alzheimer’s while celebrating International Yoga Day! Engaging in regular cardiovascular exercise that elevates the heart rate and blood flow is great for the body and promotes brain health.
Ideas for yoga-themed activities for The Longest Day
Do you like yoga and want to be part of the movement to end Alzheimer’s? Then join us for The Longest Day. We have some great ideas from other teams on how you can get started.
- Ask your yoga studio start a team, donate space, host classes and donate the proceeds.
- Get yoga items donated and auction them off to your participants (e.g. yoga mats, towels, mat bags, straps, blocks, books, meditation/relaxation CDs, yoga clothing).
- Host a well-known instructor for a special class for donations.
- Host “Yoga in the Park” for drop-in donations.
- Partner with local workplaces to host yoga/meditation sessions for co-workers in exchange for donations.
- Partner with an assisted living community or senior center to host a gentle yoga class for donations.
- Sell prayer flags to fellow yogis to honor someone affected by the disease and donate the proceeds.
- Host a yoga retreat for donations.
- Ask people to donate for each sun salutation you do on The Longest Day.
- Honor someone affected by Alzheimer’s through your practice and get sponsors.
- Let friends pick a specific pose for you to practice and have others sponsor you for completing (or attempting) that pose. Post pictures on social media and use hashtags #TheLongestDay and #ENDALZ.
What is The Longest Day?
The Longest Day is a fundraising event to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s disease. Held annually to honor the summer solstice, The Longest Day symbolizes the challenging journey of those living with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers. Participants are encouraged to create their own experience as they fundraise. You can participate in an activity you love to honor someone facing the disease.
What does The Longest Day support?
The Longest Day is an Alzheimer’s Association event and supports the mission of the organization: to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Our vision is a world without Alzheimer’s. The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research.
Are you ready? Then sign up today at alz.org/TLD.